The goal of this assignment is to learn the following:
- How to use the Music library to play chords
- How to use multiple non-primitive data types in a single program
Computer Science Principles Curriculum
- Big Idea: Creativity: EU 1.2, LO 1.2.3, EK 1.2.3A
- Big Idea: Algorithms: EU 4.1, LO 4.1.1, EK 4.1.1B
- Big Idea: Programming: EU 5.2, LO 5.2.1, EK 5.2.1A, EK 5.2.1B, EK 5.2.1C, EK 5.2.1D, EK 5.2.1E, EK 5.2.1F
Common Core Standards
- English Language Arts Standards » Science & Technical Subjects: CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RST.9-10.2, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RST.9-10.3, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RST.9-10.4, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RST.9-10.5, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RST.9-10.6, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RST.11-12.2, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RST.11-12.3, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RST.9-10.1, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RST.9-10.2, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RST.9-10.7, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RST.9-10.8, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RST.9-10.9
- Standards For Mathmatical Practice: CCSS.Math.Practice.MP1, CCSS.Math.Practice.MP2, CCSS.Math.Practice.MP5, CCSS.Math.Practice.MP6, CCSS.Math.Practice.MP7, CCSS.Math.Practice.MP8, CCSS.Math.Content.HSF.IF.A.1
In this assignment, you will write a program that plays music with a combination of notes and chords. This assignment allows you to create your own songs by combining single notes and chords. Create a new project and name it Challenge2_1.
So far, you have focused on using the
Play feature in the
Music class to play single notes.
This feature can also be used to play multiple notes at once, called chords.
In this assignment, you will create a piece of music utilizing both single notes and chords to create a piece of music that lasts at least one minute.
To play chords in Quorum, you must use the
Chord type. To include this type for use in your program, use the following
To create a chord, you might use code like the following. This code creates a C Major chord.
Chord c c:Add(60) c:Add(64) c:Add(67)
Once the chord has been created make sure the chord is played.
Activity: Play chords in Quorum.
Task 2: Analysis
- Compose a piece of music consisting of notes and chords.
- The piece of music must last at least one minute.
- Use the
Activity: Compose a piece of music consisting of notes and chords.
Your output should be a song of at least 1 minute in length. All students' outputs will be different, since you all have different creative inspirations!
In the next tutorial, we will discuss Challenge 2.2, which describes how work 3D Sound in Quorum..